Formula Sound AVC2 Auto Volume Controller Main Features
- Automatic Volume Control
- Bar-Graph Level Meter
- Anti-Tamper Relay Fitted for System Security
- Optional Remote Warning Indicator Available
In response to noise level regulations and demands from the trade for a level control unit which will work with any audio system, Formula Sound have designed the AVC2.
The AVC2 performs as an intelligent volume control and in operation is very simple.
If the average operating level is kept below the internally set threshold, the AVC2 has no effect. If the average programme level exceeds the threshold the unit will reduce its output level. The level is reduced in discreet steps indicated by the L.E.D bar graph meter on the front panel of the unit.
The action of the AVC2 is to fade between these steps and is almost undetectable in use. The more one tries to increase the volume, the more the AVC2 will decrease it so that the system will barely change in perceived level. If driven to maximum attenuation, the output level will be reduced by more than the increase in input level. The mixer or pre amp feeding the AVC2 will probably be clipping, but the system will actually be at a lower than normal level. A clip indicator is provided to show when the input stage of the AVC2 is being over driven. Reducing the input level will gently release the attenuation provided by the AVC2.
- There is no reduction in the dynamic range of the system under normal operating conditions
- The AVC2 has no external controls for the operator to worry about which also means that tampering is minimised. A bar graph meter informs he operator how much level the unit is holding.
- An anti-tamper relay is fitted which can be connected to an external switch to improve system security.
- The unit has provision to connect to an external time switch (not supplied) to switch between two output levels.
- An external remote warning indicator may be connected to warn the operator that the operating level is 3dB away from the threshold at which the AVC2 will start to control level.
Formula Sound AVC2 Auto Volume Controller
- Max input level: +22dBu: clip indicates at +20dBu
- Input impedance: 20k balanced (electronically), 10k unbalanced.
- Noise: –90dBu 20Hz-20kHz 0dB attenuation
- Distortion (THD): <0.01%, 0dB output, 0dB attenuation. <0.015%, 0dB output, 12dB attenuation. <0.05%, 0db output 30dB attenuation
- Threshold ranges: –2 to +5dBu, or –8 to –14dBu
- Attenuator range: 3-30dB
- Power: 220–240V AC (cable supplied)
- Dimensions: 482(w) x 200(d) x 44(h) mm